Afraid of going out in this polluted air? Don’t worry! Carry out your mundane activities but with these precautions.
How to cope up with increased air pollution
Delhi is a city considered one of the world’s most polluted and past week it has made it further tough for people of the city to live. Delhi has all-time low this past week. The air has become so polluted that you can actually taste and smell it easily. According to government statistics, The smog that enveloped New Delhi was the worst in the last 17 years.
The question that arises in everybody’s mind is how to protect yourself from this Smog or Smoke and its harmful effects? well, here we have a list of things you should try to keep yourself healthy.
Step 1: Try and avoid Going Outside if You can.
Try to stay away and avoid going outside. It exposes the body to carbon monoxide and second-hand smoke. Also, it is important that you keep yourself away from those who smoke. Whenever you are exposed to a bad air, it has a severe impact on your lungs. So it is very important to allow your lung regeneration ( from smoke to Healthy Lungs ) on track.
Step 2: Exercise
Staying in good physical shape is essential. It helps in providing oxygen to all your organs and helps you stay fit. It helps to strengthen our body by Greater oxygen intake so one must always look to do some sort of physical exercises in a day.
It also releases endorphins, commonly called the feel-good hormones. These hormones relieve pain and generate feelings of positivity among an individual.
As per The Department of Health and Human Services, we recommend you to follow the following:
- 150 minutes per week (30 minutes 5 times a week) of moderate aerobic activity.
- That can be swimming, walking, gardening 75 minutes per week (25 minutes 3 times per week) of vigorous aerobic activity OR strength training. That can be jogging, biking, dancing, or playing soccer.
- Remember only light exercise are advised, pushing yourself too much may lead to negative outcomes. Yoga
Benefits of yoga are numerous and vast. However, As far in this scenario there are two major benefits of Yoga:
- You Learn to Breathe Efficiently.
- You will learn and practice to breathe from your diaphragm. This helps significantly in expanding the capacity of lungs and also strengthens belly muscles which are involved in respiration.
- Your Posture Will Improve. A straight back position provides optimal space for your lungs and muscles to work on breathing. Avoid extensive yoga or variants of yoga like hot yoga for a while. All activities that have vigorous physical work that too in high temperature should be avoided.
- Your lungs might not be ready for this.
You should avoid Hot Yoga for a while, which consists in vigorous physical activity in high temperature. Your lungs might not be ready for this.
Examine your eating habits and make changes when necessary. There are a number of foods, spices, and herbs that have a positive effect on your lungs. Few foods that you can add to your daily diet can be avocados, rosemary, thyme, cayenne, ginger, and horseradish.
Start your day with a spoon of raw honey (without added sugar). You can also drink it dissolved in a glass of water. Its antibacterial and antiseptic properties will decrease your coughing already after a week ( in case you are suffering from a cough due to pollution ).
And honey contains minerals that promote tissue repair.
- Use Cayenne pepper in solid food. It relieves irritation from coughs and sore throats.
- Add 2-3 drops of Oregano oil daily to water, milk or juice.
- It will stop harmful bacteria (like Staphylococcus aureus and Pseudomonas aeruginosin) from growing.
Apply Peppermint balm on your chest and back to soothe the respiratory muscles. Menthol is a popular decongestant effective immediately. If you prefer to avoid the smell you can also chew peppermint leaves (but NOT chewing gum).
You can follow any kind of routines that help you strengthen and improve your lung’s ability to regenerate. If lungs are healthy you can avoid being drastically affected by bad environment problems.
Do you have anything that you could not find over the internet or Got any query regarding the article? Feel free to express in the comment section. we are here for You all after all.