Earth greener than 20 years ago, thanks to India, China-NASA Report
The world is a greener place than it was 20 years ago, said NASA thanking the contribution of ironically the most populous countries China and India.
“China and India account for one-third of the greening, but contain only 9 percent of the planet’s land area covered in vegetation – a surprising finding, considering the general notion of land degradation in populous countries from over-exploitation,” said Chi Chen of the Department of Earth and Environment at Boston University, in the US state of Massachusetts, and lead author of the report.
The willingness of China and India to over-exploit natural resources for economic gains is something which has been in the news for years now. Taking this fact along, the two countries still maintained to prompt a greener change for the world. Well, it seems like the implementation of ambitious tree programs by both countries have made the above possible.
Have you heard about this Superfood Categorized Grain? The Quinoa Grain has been the Newest Addition to Superfoods and it’s better than any!!
Initially, the researchers were not sure of what caused this significant change in making the planet greener whether it was an increased rate of carbon dioxide, wetter climate or a warming planet.
“When the greening of the Earth was first observed, we thought it was due to a warmer, wetter climate and fertilization from the added carbon dioxide in the atmosphere,” said Rama Nemani, a research scientist at NASA’s Ames Research Center and a co-author of the study.
A rigorous investigation led to the finding that greenery was disproportionately located in India and China.
If you have a look at the map, significant greening can be seen in China and India.
20 years ago.
In the 1970s and 1980s, both China and India went through large scale deforestation making it almost impossible to live in the two countries. The key focus was on urban development and the importance of planting trees was ignored beautifully.
This led to an increased level of air pollution, land destruction, water and soil pollution in the countries.
Do You know There is a solution to Delhi’s Air Pollution? Ikea has a solution to Delhi’s pollution and stubble burning and this will seriously work
“In the 1990s, people realized it, and today things have improved. Humans are incredibly resilient. That’s what we see in the satellite data,” a research scientist from NASA said.
Well, this is clear that as soon as humans are projected with severe problems, they have the tendency to find solutions. The two countries made tremendous efforts to make the countries greener.
Facts that made this achievement possible
- India has continued to break the world record by planting 50 million trees in just 24 hours by 8,00,000 Indians. China’s intensive agricultural programs cannot be ignored as well.
- According to the India State Forest Report 2017, India has managed to increase its forest and tree cover by 8021km.
- China accounts for 25% of the global net increase in leaf area with only 6.6 percent of the global vegetated area, said the report.
- The greening in China is from forests (42 percent) and croplands (32 percent), but in India, it is mostly from croplands (82 percent) with a minor contribution from forests (4.4 percent), the NASA study inferred.
- Together, India and China have increased food production by more than 35% by maximizing land usage through fertilizers, groundwater irrigation, and crop rotation.
Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer was used by NASA to get a detailed picture of the earth’s greenery changes over time.
In the end, we would say that it is extremely encouraging to read such studies about our country. This motivates us to work further on reducing pollution and increasing plantation. What say?