Less Traffic on roads due to successful adaptive traffic lights in Noida
Adaptive traffic control system in India
Adaptive traffic lights which were installed in Noida on a trial basis excelled to fight long vehicular queue in the city. According to the Noida authority officials, the trial led to a 90% reduction in vehicular length at the two intersections. With the aim of reducing jamming and pollution, adaptive traffic lights were installed in the city.
As a part of the trial phase, the adaptive traffic lights were installed at Rajnigandha Chowk, BSNL Chowk, and Chowda Morh, the three major intersections on the Master Plan 2 road.
“The traffic lights are already being tested on Master Plan 2 road and have been successful in reducing traffic in the past few days. We are monitoring the quantitative impact on traffic with videos and will also test the impact on the pollution levels soon,” said Rajeev Tyagi, general manager, Noida Authority.
He also shared the results of the videography data collected at the three junctions of the master plan 2 road and it was clear that almost 90-95% of queue length reduction took place at the BSNL intersection and the Chowda Morh Intersection near Sector 12. A significant drop of 30% was witnessed at the Rajanigandha intersection and around 20% reduction in delay in the morning peak hours and almost 50% delay in the evening peak hours was observed in the traffic movement at BSNL and Chowda Morh intersections.
Quick Review-What are adaptive traffic lights?
The adaptive traffic control system is a fine traffic management strategy in which traffic signal timing changes based on actual traffic demand and this is accomplished using an adaptive traffic control system consisting of hardware and software. No manual intervention is required as the lights start or stop according to the traffic on the road as analyzed by the chip installed in it.
Junckit Systems is a private company which started the trials of the adaptive traffic lights in order to test its technical compatibility. According to the officials, these lights will be installed in the entire city if everything goes well.
“This initial trial was undertaken to ensure the technical compatibility of Junckit controller with the existing traffic signal systems. If it works well, these smart traffic signals may be installed across the city in a couple of months,” Tyagi said.
How do adaptive traffic lights work?
The process is fairly simple.
- Data is collected by the traffic sensors
- Evaluation of traffic data is done
- Signal timing improvements are developed
- Updates are developed
The process continues and is repeated after every few seconds.
The Future of traffic control system: Adaptive Traffic lights: Adaptive Traffic Light Timer Control (ATLTC)
- The traditional system of traffic lights is very time consuming and leads to the frustration of many drivers on the road. It is not easy to manually collect the data and then manage the flow of the traffic on the road with the traffic lights. With the help of the new adaptive traffic lights, customer satisfaction can be maintained as information is collected and signal timings are maintained.
- The traffic flow is improved and hence the travel time can see more than 10% of the improvements. In the areas of outdated signals, this improvement can jump to 50% as well.
- While traveling to your office or back home, you can reduce the travel time and substantial traffic flow can be maintained.
- There is a need to install these adaptive traffic lights at some congested areas of Old Delhi as well. If the system works well, it can become a quintessential solution to the problem of congestion as well as pollution in the city.
- Cost cutting will be another major benefit of the adaptive traffic lights. Excessive traffic leads to an increase in fuel consumption and causes a delay in work to the people on the road. Adaptive traffic lights if installed can reduce the cost incurred to the people significantly.
- Well, we cannot underestimate the fact that the adaptive traffic light system will solve the environmental problems in a wonderful way. As the traffic will reduce, the hydrocarbon emission will also plummet.
All in all, it is an excellent solution to combat stress which we all face while driving on the Delhi NCR roads, what say?