The unhinged pressure of 9-5 jobs and the continuous struggle to discover ourselves amidst all the chaos keep forcing us to break open and sometimes coerce us to break down. In moments like this, we hold on to our families and friends for support, love, and care. The nostalgia from childhood – sweet and beautiful- reminds us of our fascinating past and the times we used to play indoor games with friends and cousins. A time that is now gone but was the most surreal part of our life. It was when everything was easy and we could run into our parent’s arms at the slightest inconvenience. Games will always be our key to communication. This article is all about the best indoor games to enjoy with family and friends.
Even when we are full-grown adults, we crave those soothing nights with family when everyone would join and play indoor games on Saturdays. These indoor games live in our core memory and even after years, they are the heart of every gathering or party. In case you have forgotten the enchanting spells of these games or you had a fight with someone over the rules, this article is there to help you out. Experience a ride to your childhood favorites and save this article for your next visit home.
Table of Contents
Table of contents
- Best Indoor Games
- 1. Best Indoor Games: UNO
- 2. Best Indoor Games: Chess
- 3. Best Indoor Games: Carrom
- 4. Best Indoor Games: Tambola
- 5. Best Indoor Games: Dumb Charades
- 6. Best Indoor Games: Scrabble
- 7. Best Indoor Games: Musical Chairs
- 8. Best Indoor Games: Minute to Win It
- 9. Best Indoor Games: Truth and Dare – Pass it on!
- 10. Best Indoor Games: Monopoly
Best Indoor Games List
It can be overwhelming to search for the OG indoor games you loved as a kid from the pool of unlimited online collections of irrelevant games. To help you sort out the gems of the best indoor games to enjoy with friends and family and the ones you would cherish on your next vacation, we have explored for hours and clubbed the most interesting childhood games. Here is a specifically devised list of games for you to try your hands on and brush up on your skills.
- Dumb Charades
- Musical Chairs
- Minute to Win It
- Truth and Dare – Pass it on!
Let’s dig deeper into these games and reminisce about them!
Best Indoor Games
This is the ultimate nostalgic guide where you will discover the best indoor games to enjoy with family and friends. We have curated the finest list of indoor games with gripping facts and everything you need to know to have a fun weekend with your friends family or anybody for that matter!
1. Best Indoor Games: UNO
The pioneer of card games – the king as everyone calls it – is the original, unrivaled, everyone’s favorite UNO. Numerous variations of UNO have now been seen and the game is more popular than ever. People around the world keep developing their own versions of this renowned card game. UNO has a separate fan base in India. Myriad versions of the game are available online. However, the real happiness lies in the rounds of the UNO game with friends and family where you can show off your reverse-UNO tricks. UNO was and will always be the crowd’s favorite. It is by far the best indoor game to enjoy with family.
How To Play UNO
- Shuffle the cards and deal 7 cards to each player. Bring out your beloved deck of UNO cards and shuffle. Deal 7 cards to each player. A game of UNO can have 2-10 players.
- Put the rest of the cards at the center. Put the remaining cards face down at the center of the table. These cards constitute the draw pile.
- Turn over the top card from the draw pile to initiate the game. This card continues the game further. The stack so formed is the discard pile.
- The next player then plays a card to match the color, number, or symbol on the card. If they don’t have the card, they draw it from the draw pile.
- Take note of the action and wild cards.
- Say “UNO” if you have only one card left. Keep playing till a player says “UNO”. If you don’t say UNO and a player spots you, you have to draw cards.
- Make your own rules and have fun!
2. Best Indoor Games: Chess
You can’t live in a world there is no chess! Remember the barbaric wizard chess from Harry Potter – The one that pretty much made us love the game? Well, real-life chess might not be that dramatic but is sure our best indoor game from childhood! Chess lets you enter a world of wits and war where your only weapon is your brain and the ability to understand your opponent’s mindset. A battleground with your own army – Chess is loved by all generations. It’s the perfect game to enjoy with your family and teach your kids. The variety of chessboards will also fill you with excitement and it is as good as it looks!! Here’s an idea – organize a chess tournament and see which cousin has the skill for it! I once defeated my brother in 8 moves. What’s your Chess flex?
How to play Chess
- The trick is to remember the role of your chess pieces. From the knight to the king – you should be familiar with how they move.
- There are 16 pieces in each team – the white team and the black.
- Learn how to set up the chessboard. The chess pieces are arranged for both teams in the same manner. The second row from the bottom is filled with pawns. The rooks go in the corners, then the knights next to them, followed by the bishops, and finally, the queen. The queen always goes in the block of her own matching color. The white queen is on the white and the black queen is on the black. At last, the king is on the remaining square.
- White moves first. Then you play.
- There are 6 kinds of chess pieces. The king is the most important piece but is the weakest. The queen is the most powerful.
- Checkmate the opponent’s king to win. You check the king to capture the king and win. If the king can’t survive the check then you say “Checkmate” and the game is over.
Chess can be a little overwhelming if you are a beginner. Asking your family members to help you out will guide you in the initial stages. Playing chess together with friends and loved ones will increase your observational skills and strengthen your bonds.
3. Best Indoor Games: Carrom
Carrom is an extensively popular indoor game in India and is loved by everyone – from a 5-year-old to a 50-year-old! Play it once and the game will live in your memories forever. The subtle stroke, the happiness of pocketing the queen, and the charming laughs you get while playing with your cousins – Carrom is what your heart needs. Carrom is the king of board games played in social gatherings. You must give it a try and experience the thrill of the game. Carrom board is usually made up of plywood and is square in shape. The best thing about Carrom is that it has different versions and you can even create one of your own! The next section will give you a simple overview of how to play the enthralling game.
How to play Carrom
- Understand the setup and equipment. Carrom has these pieces – Carrom men, Queen, and strikers. The carrom board has four corners. Fine-grained powder is used to strike the pieces with ease. To understand the equipment in detail, read this.
- Determine the order. Who will play first is generally determined by a toss or any other non-biased method.
- Start aiming to hit the pieces to pocket them with a striker. Keep in view the rules and pay attention to the shot. A penalty is imposed if you pocket your striker.
- The queen is worth the most points! Pay attention to pocket the queen. This will give you an edge over other players.
- The player with the highest number of points wins. You can devise new and unique methods to play Carrom with your family and friends.
4. Best Indoor Games: Tambola
The word Tambola stirs up an entire pool of emotion within everyone. Indians love to play Tambola with family. The game is widely popular among kids and youths and playing Tambola with friends can revive a lot of feelings. An elder member often becomes the caller and everyone plays in a jovial environment. Playing Tambola is pretty easy and fun. To make things interesting, you can introduce a prize for your friends and host a Tambola party! Tambola is definitely one of the best on the list of indoor games. Tambola is also one of the best indoor games to enjoy with family and friends.
How to play Tambola
- Decide who will be the Tambola caller. The caller is the in-charge of the Tambola board. The caller is responsible for drawing the numbers and for verifying the winning tickets.
- Take your ticket and a pencil. There are different numbers written on the Tambola ticket and they are distributed along rows and columns. Tambola tickets have 3 rows and 9 columns. You can buy tambola tickets or print your own!
- The caller will draw the numbers and call them out.
- Strike out the number with a cross if the caller says it during the game. As the game proceeds, you have to cross the numbers on your ticket.
- Say Tambola! If all your numbers are crossed, you shout “Tambola”. That’s how you win!
- Give out the prize to the winner. The prizes are usually cash.
There are different versions of the Tambola and you can choose the one your family loves the most.
5. Best Indoor Games: Dumb Charades
This one is my personal favorite. This game is not just a game – it’s love. Remember the epic scene from Kuch Kuch Hota Hai? – The scene that made us relish the game even more! Dumb Charades is the perfect indoor game. It makes you remember the saga of beautiful cinema and enact the scenes. Charades is an intriguing game played in all family gatherings and is always the cousin’s favorite. From guessing the number of words to acting like your favorite actor – the game has got it all! Next time you are bored at a family function, you know what to do! Scroll down to know how to play Dumb Charades.
How to play Dumb Charades
- Divide the players into two teams. Try to include equal players in both teams and elect a team leader.
- Decide which team will go first.
- The team playing first sends a member. A member is sent to act according to the movie given.
- The opponent team chooses a movie.
- The selected member enacts the words in the movie’s name. You cannot speak. You have to convey the movie through actions only.
- You have to guess the movie to win.
- The team with the most correct guesses at the end wins.
6. Best Indoor Games: Scrabble
Ahem! Ahem! If you know about Scrabble, you must be familiar with the fact that it’s a lit board game. Usually played by two to four players, Scrabble is a favorite addition to the list of indoor games. We are all so focused on working and being productive that we seldom get time to concentrate and enjoy ourselves. To give you quality time while increasing focus – Scrabble is the best! So get your scrabble boards ready and play with your parents and family. Scrabble is amusing and if you want to build vocabulary while playing – there is no better alternative. Parents love to play this game with kids.
How to play Scrabble
- Bring all your scrabble supplies together. You will need a scrabble board and letter tiles. They are very cute!
- Randomly distribute the letter tiles.
- Decide who will play first.
- Start playing the words and note down the scores.
- Keep an eye out for the rules.
- The player with the most point at the end wins.
Snack while playing indoor games! Verified Information on Makhanas benefits and why we should incorporate them into our lives as an evening snack. Every Question Answered. Proven Makhana Benefits, Nutritional Value and More
7. Best Indoor Games: Musical Chairs
Musical chairs live rent-free in the hearts of Indians and the mention of this game alone is nostalgic. Playing and running around with your cousins is the best feeling ever. Dancing to the rhythm and keeping an eye on the chair – it’s a perfect game. You can play musical chairs with your friends. Just imagine the joy it will bring to your heart. To feel like kids again and take a day off from all your worries – it will be so soothing. Musical chairs is a traditional game and super easy to play.
How to play Musical Chairs
- Arrange the chairs in a circle. The number of chairs is one less than the number of players.
- Play the music. The players move around the circle – dancing and playing to the song.
- When the song stops, you have to sit on the chair. The person left is eliminated.
- Remove one chair and repeat.
- The person who is left, at last, wins the game!
8. Best Indoor Games: Minute to Win It
The minute to Win It game is a great way to spend time with family and friends at weekends. It is a collection of super fun 60 seconds games. There are many interesting Minute to Win It games people play. The goal is to win the game in one minute. If you are planning a party for friends and want to look cool – you have to bring these games to the table. There are over 100+ Minute to Win It games popular around the world. These games are killer at parties and social gatherings. You can even add a theme to Minute to Win it games. It’s a vibrant and versatile area of play making it the best indoor game to enjoy with family and friends.
How to play Minute to Win It
- Choose the Minute to win it game you are going to play. It can be funny, concentrating, or even educational. There are a lot of options to choose from. You can find a list of indoor games from this cool website here.
- Collect the supplies related to the game. The game usually has all the items you can easily find at home.
- Set the timer. Set a timer of 1 minute and let the thrill begin.
- Compete to win. Let your competitive side unleash at a part and bring light to life!
9. Best Indoor Games: Truth and Dare – Pass it on!
A meeting with friends is incomplete without a round of Truth and Dare. You play truth and dare by passing pillows with cousins. And you play it by rolling a bottle with friends at a party and by rolling pens in school. It’s a never-ending and ever-flourishing game. Eras will pass by but youths will still play truth and dare. The game will live in hostels, in schools, and in our memories forever. The game has myriad variations. You can add other conditions also like situations. If you are throwing a party then do not forget to add this game to the list. Truth and Dare game is the most cherished one in the list of indoor games.
How to play Truth and Dare
- Sit in a circle with your friends and family members.
- Spin the bottle. You can also pass the pillow to make it more fun.
- Observe when the bottle stops. The mouth of the bottle is the direction for the person.
- If the bottle points towards you, choose truth or dare. If you choose truth – you will be asked a question. You have to answer it honestly. If you choose dare – you will have to do a task. The task can be weird, funny, or even scary!
- If you fail to do the said task, you are removed from the game.
Truth and dare is the best way to make your cousins spill all the beans!
10. Best Indoor Games: Monopoly
If saving the best one for the last is a feeling then that’s what I did. Monopoly is the king of board games. A property trading, economics-based game – Monopoly is a classic! The game is the family’s favorite. It has everything to bring people together and is peak interesting. Buying properties, building hotels, rolling dice, going to jail -it’s all a part of the game and is exciting every time you play. Understanding Monopoly can be a bit tricky sometimes but once you get the hang of it – it’s without a doubt the best indoor game to enjoy with friends and family.
How to Play Monopoly
- Find players. Monopoly can be played with 2-8 players. However, playing with only two people is not fun.
- Choose a banker. The banker is responsible for all the transactions, money, properties, houses, and everything in possession of the bank.
- Choose your game piece.
- Distribute the money. Each person is given a fixed amount to begin the game. The amount can vary as per your mood but the standard amount is 1500$.
- Roll the dice and let the game begin.
I hope that you like all the recommendations. Finding an indoor game that suits your personality and resonates with your soul can be challenging at times. But everything is easy around our loved ones. It is never about the game but about memories and the people in them.
Here is a list of other indoor games you can also try:
- Mini Billiards
You can also check out Health & Fitness section for more health-related articles to help you stay healthy. Healthy Lifestyle Recommendations by God of Small Thing