It is a deeply restorative pose that forms part of the series of Padma Sadhana. Crocodile pose aka Makar asana relaxes the whole nervous system. It gets its name from the Sanskrit words, Makara, which means crocodile, and asana, which means pose. Makar asana is a calming yoga asana. This is good for issues with the back and shoulder. The posture resembles a crocodile who takes rest in waters, keeping its face and neck above the point of surface water. Makar asana intent to relieve the pressure created by doing certain yoga asana, and so it is the perfect way to finish a yoga session. Here, we will discuss maker asana steps, makar asana benefits, and health benefits of maker asana.
The crocodile pose or the makar asana Can be performed while performing different yoga asana’s. You can remain in the posture for around 5-15 minutes and can even extend to 30 minutes. Don’t fall asleep!
Table of Contents
- Science and Myth behind Makarasana
- Preparatory Poses Of Makarasana
- Follow-up poses of Makarasana
- Makar asana for different Health conditions
- Step by step process to do Makar asana
- Benefits for Makar asana
- Makar Asana FAQs
Science and Myth behind Makarasana
The Makara is, according to Indian mythology, a splendid beast, part crocodile, part elephant, often part stag or peacock. This is the River goddess Ganga’s ride. Its name endures, transformed into Magar in modern Hindi, as is the name of the ordinary crocodile. It is also reflected in the form of yoga asana Makar asana, or “crocodile pose.” which helps you breathe and calm your nervous system.
A Ramayana story tells how Hanuman is captured, dragged under, and swallowed by a crocodile while he was trying to drink from a stream. Hanuman shifts form to become so huge that the crocodile explodes, leaving a stunning apsara nymph called Dhyanamalini who admits she was cursed to become the beast.
Preparatory Poses Of Makarasana
- Setu Bandha Sarvangasana / Bridge Pose
- Balasana / Child’s Pose
- Marjariasana / Cat Pose
- Gomukhasana / Cow Face Pose
- Bhujangasana / Cobra Pose
Follow-up poses of Makarasana
- Setu Bandha Sarvangasana / Bridge Pose
- Ustrasana / Camel Pose
- Bhujangasana / Cobra Pose
- Dhanurasana / Bow Pose
- Salabhasana / Locust Pose
Makar asana for different Health conditions
The most important aspect of Makar asana is that the practice leads to muscle regeneration and relaxation, and is thus performed between various postures or simply from the point of therapy. There are various health benefits of makar asana. Yet when going into Makar asana, a few conditions should be kept in mind, they are:
- Pregnant women should avoid this pose – it may negatively affect women and the child. The pressure on the stomach is not safe for women and needs to be avoided. It can lead to major complications in the pregnancy and even lead to miscarriage.
- Stomach issues- Severe abdominal disorders will cause more pain while doing Makar asana as the belly is pulled to the floor while breathing, resulting in muscle contraction. So if you’re having major stomach complications, avoid doing Makarasana.
- Avoid if blood pressure is too high – For someone who is a beginner to yoga practice and is suffering from high blood pressure, may find it difficult and painful to follow the instructions related to Crocodile Pose because breathing plays an important role. If the breathing is not calming and smooth, pressure starts building up causing more pressure with the arteries
- Cardiac conditions – if anyone is having any cardiac issues and problems must avoid doing this Asana as it would create pressure and stress leading to major discomfort. Practicing this asana can put a lot of pressure on your heart, causing the heart to pump blood faster.
Step by step process to do Makar asana
It’s easy and you don’t need to panic. Just follow the Makar asana steps.
- So, first of all, relax, lie down on your stomach.
- Then, bend your right leg almost creating a 45° angle with your thigh and calf whereas keeping your left leg straight.
- Then, put your face on the mat keeping your head sided and arms beside you.
- Stay in this posture for around 15 minutes. Don’t fall asleep!
Another way round of Makar Asana steps
- Just lie down relaxing your body.
- Keep your legs straight and toes together.
- Straight uplift your shoulders and keep your arms on your chin making a triangle between your face and arms.
- Keep your eyes straight gazing in the front pressurize and touch the forums with your legs relaxing your body.
- Stay in this pose for around 15 minutes without thinks and tensing yourself. Keep calm!
- Take the hands slowly from under the chin, turn over and lay on the back.
- You may want to do a gentle forward turn, without pain, if you notice any discomfort in the back muscles. Please note that the patients with slip disks must avoid too much forward bending.
How to do Crocoldile Pose by Baba Ramdev:
Looking forward to trying out some more yoga asanas? Here are 15 Best Yoga Asanas For Weight Loss by Baba Ramdev
Benefits for Makar asana
Here are some health benefits of makar asana which everyone should know about-
- Makar asana is muscle contraction around the sacrum. The sacrum is a conical bone that lies in between the two hip bones at the base of the spine. This strengthens the spine and helps in flexing the shoulders. Stimulating the sacrum increases the passage of prana across the entire spine, reducing all blockages.
- Makar asana includes gentle deep breathing which massages the abdominal area, improving in the functioning of the spleen, liver, urinary bladder and the pancreas.
- it improves the functioning of the liver, heart, lungs, and kidneys.
- It is an excellent exercise for back pain and also Stretches your spine and brings flexibility.
- This asana helps you to get rid of the headache.
- While doing this asana, the blood flows through the body and relaxes your muscles, and thus reduces the need for oxygen, which helps to stimulate the circulatory and respiratory systems.
- It improves digestion and curbs problems related to constipation.
- Since Makarasana is usually called a restorative posture, it is also often used to treat ailments such as insomnia, decreasing anxiety by relaxing the mind.
- Through continuous respiratory movement and stimulation of the diaphragm muscle, decreased oxygen consumption and decreased output of the respiratory and circulatory system, blood pressure is regulated.
- It is a cure for lower back stiffness, not only back but also relaxes other stiff parts. The deep rhythmic breathing, when in the prone position, decreases the stresses around the lower back muscles, near to the sacrum, thereby reducing the spasm.
- It improves concentration and focus and also gives a meditative effect which helps you Calms the mind and thus reducing anxiety.
- Makar asana is responsible for treating asthma, heart disease, and psychiatric illness.
- It can treat asthma, joint pain, and other associated respiratory conditions and can relieve slip disks, spondylitis, and sciatica.
Switch to Healthier alternatives to food. And when it comes to Food, Sugar can be something that can have really adverse effects on your health if not regulated properly. Try out some natural substitutes for sugar? Have any questions regarding them? Don’t worry – All questions answered
Makar Asana FAQs
Can people having a slipped disc perform the Makar asana?
Yes, they can perform the Makara asana but they must avoid too much bending which puts pressure on the back instead can lie down peacefully with a little bend. Apart from this, they don’t have to remain in such a position for a longer period and hence can relax any moment they want.
Can Makar Asana be done by pregnant women?
It is highly advised for pregnant women to avoid doing Makar asana as it puts pressure on the stomach and may lead to discomfort to the mother and the baby. Any other pose that may discomfort the mother by putting pressure on the stomach should be avoided during pregnancy.
Is Makar asana the same as doing a plank?
No, plank and the crocodile pose are not the same. In plank, only the toes and the palm touch the floor whereas in the Makar asana your full body except your lower shoulder touches the floor. Plank is much difficult as compare to Makar asana.
Is this the only way to do this?
The Makar asana intents to relax your body and mind. It can be done in any way. You can either keep your legs straight and your palm straight or you can fold your legs and palms or just lie down straight upside down or any other way that makes you feel relaxed. It can be done in more than 30 different ways.
Is Makar Asana good to control the blood sugar level?
So, first of all, if you have high blood pressure then please avoid doing this asana as it may increase your blood flow causing more pressure on the arteries because it is an activity involving breathing. Instead, you can practice Bound Angle Pose, Bridge Bose, Corpse Pose or any other asana that does not accelerate breathing.
Do You know Breakfast is the most important meal of the day? And most of us skip it because of our tough on-time schedules! But Don’t worry, Here are 5 min Healthy Breakfast Ideas with Recipe