Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Pistachio Crumble and Green Onion Crème Fraiche by Nancy Silverton
By now, you know the Virtual Harvest 2020 event organized by American Pistachio Growers was amazing as we have said enough. But, did we tell you what we found the best about the event? Well, in the words of the Founder of God of Small Thing Gaurav Tomar, who attended the event on the team’s behalf, the best part of the event was to see Chef Nancy Silverton cooking. And we can’t agree more! The renowned chef has a charm that cannot be ignored. Well, getting back to the point, we have brought you the exclusive Nancy Silverton recipe of Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Pistachio Crumble and Green Onion Crème Fraiche.
Here is how to cook Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Pistachio Crumble and Green Onion Crème Fraiche:
Equipment: Food processor, medium bowl, small sauce pot, sheet pan, large stock pot, tongs, plate or wooden board
Table of Contents
Prepare the perfect Pistachio Paste
- ¼ cup / 55 g blended olive oil
- ¼ cup / 30 g whole pistachios
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 each, zest of lemon, peeled with peeler
- 2 tbsp / 3 g fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1 tsp / 1 g fresh thyme, finely chopped
- ½ tsp / 3 g kosher salt
- In a small sauce pot, combine oil, pistachios, garlic, and lemon zest and cook over medium heat until the
- garlic is light golden brown, and the nuts are toasted. Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature. In
- a food processor, add the mixture, oregano, thyme and salt. Pulse the mixture until the lemon zest is
- broken down and the nuts are chopped. Mixture will be like a chunky paste.
How to prepare Green Onion Crème Fraiche in Nancy Silverton’s way
Green Onion Crème Fraiche:
- ½ cup / 120 g crème fraiche
- ¼ cup / 30 g scallions, minced
- ¼ cup / 30 g shallots, minced
- 1 garlic, grated with Microplane®
- 2 tsp / 6 g kosher salt
- ½ lemon, juiced
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients, combine and set aside.
Nancy Silverton’s recipe for Whole Roasted Cauliflower
Whole Roasted Cauliflower:
- 1 each cauliflower, leaves intact
- Kosher salt for seasoning cooking water / as needed
- 3 tbsp / 20 g olive oil blend
- 2 tsp / 5 g kosher salt
- Adjust the oven rack to the lowest position. Preheat the oven to 374°F (190°C).
- Fill a large stock pot with water and bring to a boil. Add kosher salt until the water tastes like the ocean.
- Place the whole cauliflower into the water. The cauliflower will float, and the leaves will stick out of the water.
- Cook for about 7 minutes. Using tongs, flip the cauliflower so the leaves are submerged and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Remove the cauliflower from the water and place onto a baking sheet.
- Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Pour off any excess water that had accumulated on the sheet pan and wipe dry.
- Drizzle the cauliflower with olive oil blend and sprinkle with 2 tsp (5 g) kosher salt.
What do you need for Pistachio Topping?
- 3 tbsp / 20 g extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp / 3 g flaky sea salt, such as Maldon sea salt
- 3 tbsp / 20 g pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp /3 g Micro Cilantro
- Spread the pistachio paste evenly over the cauliflower.
- Place into the oven and roast for 12-15 minutes until golden brown and some spots have a slight char.
- Place on a plate or wooden board. Drizzle with the extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle flaky sea salt, chopped pistachios, and Micro Cilantro.
- Serve with a side of the Green Onion Crème Fraiche.
Know more about your Chef Nancy Silverton
Nancy Silverton is an American chef, baker, and author. The winner of the James Beard Foundation’s Outstanding Chef Award in 2014, Silverton is recognized for her role in popularizing sourdough and artisan bread in the United States. That year, she was listed as one of the Most Innovative Women in Food and Drink by both Fortune and Food & Wine Magazines. In 2017, Nancy was profiled in an episode of Netflix’s award-winning docu-series Chef’s Table.
She is the co-owner of Osteria Mozza, Pizzeria Mozza, and chi SPACCA in Los Angeles. Silverton also founded the world-famous La Brea Bakery as well as Campanile restaurant, an institution that Angelenos cherished for decades. A lifelong Angeleno, Nancy is one of the most respected and beloved chefs in America.
Nancy is the author of nine cookbooks including Desserts (1986), Breads from the La Brea Bakery (1996), Pastries from the La Brea Bakery (2000), Nancy Silverton’s Sandwich Book (2005), The Mozza Cookbook (2011), and Mozza at Home (2016).
So, isn’t it delicious? We are sure you will love the end result 😀 Thank us later to serve you with this amazing Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Pistachio Crumble and Green Onion Crème Fraiche recipe. You can have a look at some other recipes Pistachio Macaroon Tart Recipe by Nancy Herself.
The Recipe was shared by Nancy during a live Virtual Cook Along session organized by American Pistachio Growers and God of Small Thing was an attendee for the session.
One thought on “Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Pistachio Crumble and Green Onion Crème Fraiche by Nancy Silverton”
Pingback: Pistachio Macaroon Tart Recipe by Nancy Silverton