“You can’t buy happiness but you can buy sushi, which is kinda the same thing.” Sushi, whenever we talk about this Japanese delicacy, our mouth starts watering, isn’t it? This delightful and pleasurable savory dish is loved by millions of people all around the globe; pages are dragged with a different variety of sushis filled with exquisite and appetizing ingredients. In an American documentary, it was said that “the most important part of making a good sushi is this: we getting in the union between the rice and fish. If they are not in complete harmony, the sushi won’t taste good” these lines were said by Jiro, from Jiro dreams of sushi. From the dialogue, we can clearly extract that making sushi is all about creating balance among flavors.
If you are a sushi lover, you might have faced lots of confusion in choosing one sushi recipe out of dozens available. We might get confused Between Nigiri Sushi, Sashimi Sushi, Maki Sushi, Uramaki Sushi, Temaki Sushi, Tempura Sushi, etc. Not to worry, we shall help you out. Get ready to start a whole new sushi journey full of flavor. Out of all these, we shall focus upon the Boston roll, which is a Japanese cuisine made with poached shrimps, creamy avocado, and crunchy cucumber. The bright and overwhelming sheets of seaweed and rice make the sushi look heavenly. “Life’s too short to eat bad sushi” A lot of people have a question as to what’s exactly is there in a Boston roll? So we will start by answering
Table of Contents
Boston Sushi Roll Recipe
What does a Boston roll have in it?
A Boston roll is a sort of maki sushi, also known as rolled sushi. It is made by rolling nori seaweed sheet, which is a dried edible paper-thin seaweed. It is considered a popular ingredient when talked about Korean and Japanese cuisine. Along with the nori seaweed sheet, it is rolled with seasoned rice. The Boston sushi is filled with poached shrimp and later garnished with orange Tobiko or Masago. Tobiko is flying fish roe. The amazing creamy texture and taste of avocado cream and crunchy cucumber act as a cherry on the cake. Cooking and eating sushi is an art, it is served with Wasabi, soya source, or gari. The Boston roll is a variation of the California roll, made with shrimps instead of crab meat
Boston sushi has its history, it is not originated from Japan but traces its origin in the eastern United States and that’s how it got its name.
“There is an I in “sushi”, so get your own”
What is a Boston roll sushi?
A Boston roll consists of various flavorful and delicious ingredients, refreshing and mouth-watering. Let’s look at these ingredients:
FOR MAKING SUSHI RICE:-
- 1 cup of sushi rice
- A cup of water
- 1 ½ tablespoon sushi vinegar
FOR MAKING BOSTON ROLL
- 3-6 tablespoons orange Tobiko or Masago
- 6 oz. shrimp
- 1/2 cucumber cut into 0.5-inch strips
- 2 sheets nori seaweed sheet
- 2 avocado
FOR DRESSING (IF NEEDED)
- soy sauce
- wasabi paste
+++ Ingredient list for 4 rolls
How to make Boston sushi roll?
Boston Sushi Roll Recipe Step by Step:
- Starting with the Boston roll sushi recipe – First of all, cook the sushi rice by adding water to the rice cooker. When your rice is cooked, transfer it into a huge bowl and let it cool down. Don’t burn your hand! Add in some sushi vinegar or rice vinegar and salt and sugar as per your taste. Mix your sushi rice properly and make sure that it is cooked well.
- Poach the shrimps in boiling water by adding salt. Cover the pan and let it boil for 3-5 minutes until they are posed properly. Remove them and transfer them into a cold water bowl. Lastly, peel the shrimps, and don’t forget to remove the tail.
- Start with the preparation of the sushi roll; take a bamboo mat with a plastic wrap on the top. We take a plastic wrap, as it becomes easier to make it into a roll. It is an inside-out sushi roll.
- Take the seaweed sheets and divide them into two, Place the first part on the bottom of the mat. Wet your hands and measure 3/4 cup of cooked rice. Spread a thin layer of sticky rice on a mat, gently. Do not pressure the rise.
- Now, flip the nori seaweed strip and rice, in a way that the rice is at the bottom and nori at the top. A perfect sheet of nori is black with a subtle green tint. Without any gaps, they should have the same thickness. When folded in half, the fresh ones are crisp and easy to smash.
- Balance and place the shrimp, cucumber strips, and avocado on the top of the nori seaweed sheet. Always consider that maintaining a proper balance is necessary if not the sushi will break. Boston roll requires firm avocados, which have darker skin. It is a straight formula, avocados with darker skin are ripe. If you feel, that the seed is hard to remove, it means the avocado is not firm and hence not perfect. You can use thawed, fresh or frozen shrimp for making Boston roll. Make sure that you peel properly before adding to your roll. Prefer small cuts rather than large pieces.
- Place the thumb below the bamboo mat and start lifting your mat by applying pressure to tighten up the roll. Gently remove the bamboo mat and add Tobiko.
- To add Tobiko, place the plastic wrap on the top and cover it with a sushi mat. Squeeze it all around the sushi. Now, smoothly remove the bamboo mat and let the plastic wrap remain. Cut your sushi into 8 pieces and enjoy the delicacy. Serve Boston roll with wasabi or soy sauce.
+++ If you use tempura shrimps, you need to coat properly with a batter of all-purpose flour, eggs, and ice-cold water, and coat it with corn-starch along with some essential flavorings of your choice. Finally, fry it in hot oil.
+++ Instead of shrimp, the Boston Roll may also be made with crab, salmon, or scallion. Its rare taste and spicy flavor make it the most popular. While Masago or cucumber makes it crunchy and much more delicious, sliced avocado brings a new essence to the Boston roll.
“Whatever the question, the answer is sushi!”
You might also like: 30 Minutes Easy Popeyes Buttermilk Biscuits recipe with step by step Instructions
Boston Sushi Roll Recipe Step by Step Tutorial:
As said by Nobu Matsuhisa “The fine art of preparing sushi is something that you watch and learn.” Watch this video and enjoy the making of art. You can add and subtract ingredients by your choice.
Boston roll sushi recipe, traditional method
You can add and subtract ingredients by your choice.
Take care of the following while curating your own Boston Sushi roll:
- DO EVERYTHING GENTLY- Do not use pressure while spreading sticky rice, or when rolling the sushi as the material and fillings will come out.
- TRY NOT TO OVERCOOK- cook the sticky rice perfectly and also poach the shrimps in a specified time to prevent over-cooked material.
- DON’T REFRIGERATE- do not keep the sticky rice in the fridge to cool down, this will bring a weird flavor and change the taste of your sushi.
- USE TEZU WATER- use Tezu water for dipping hands while making sushi. Tezu water is a simple mix of a quarter cup water and 2 teaspoon rice vinegar
- BE CAUTIOUS- roll and pull the bamboo mat very gently and use it delicately with light hands. Go slow on your work. It is an inside-out sushi roll, hence be careful.
“Keep calm and eat Boston roll sushi”
Here we are towards the end; we hope that this amazing Boston sushi recipe made your day. Now grab your ingredients and dwell deep into this flavourful world of sushi.
Frequently Asked Questions by Users
California roll and a Philadelphia roll are different, a California roll consists of crab, cucumbers, and avocado where the crab is cooked properly and isn’t raw. On the other hand, Philadelphia roll is made with avocado, cream cheese, and Salomon. A Boston roll is an advanced version of California roll
In case you do not have a sushi mat, you can make a sushi roller at home. Gather 40-50 wooden skewers and two pieces of white tape. Spread them on a flat surface and tie them with the help of a deep front and back. Moreover, you can also use plastic wrap at home to make sushi.
Some of the most famous and the best sushi roll include the spicy tuna roll, shrimp tempura roll, Boston roll, Dragon roll, and finally the king crab roll. Apart from this, some people prefer having cucumber roll, Alaska roll depending upon the taste and choice. the most famous roll is Nigiri, a fish served with simple sushi rice. Spider roll is one of the most famous. The tempura crab and spicy taste makes this one of the best classic sushi rolls
Some of the healthiest sushi rolls include cucumber roll with Edamame and miso soup, Edamame and salmon sashimi, salmon avocado and seaweed roll. Various types of sashimi are healthy. Generally, you can also make a sushi roll with the help of brown rice to make it healthier. salmon and tuna are also some healthy options, salmon has 40 calories per ounce and tuna has 42 calories per ounce. Both of these are high in protein, vitamin and Omega-3.
California roll is real makizushi sushi, an inside-out sushi roll made with the help of crab, avocado, and cucumber. This dish introduces a different concept of sushi to the people. Boston roll is also an inside-out sushi roll. The California roll has become one of the most popular sushi types in the United States and Canada, influential in the global popularity of sushi and influencing sushi chefs around the world to enhance non-traditional fusion cuisine.
You do not have a sushi mat at home; you can use a towel or a simple plastic wrap. A kitchen towel, plastic wrap and your sushi supplies are everything you need. When you are able to integrate all your ingredients, take a clean kitchen towel and place it on a flat surface that is as large as your seaweed mats.
If you are a beginner, you need to be very careful while making sushi. It is better that you purchase a bamboo mat to craft your sushi properly. Follow the steps carefully, and mind the quantity, and create a proper balance. Follow one recipe at a time. If it is an inside-out sushi roll, you need to be more careful.
You can roll sushi without a roller with a help of a wet towel or even a plastic wrap. Apart from this, you can make a DIY roller at home.
California sushi is good for your health as it includes cucumber, avocado, nori, crab, and rice. It keeps you healthy if you abstain from eating sushi with fatty dips like mayonnaise or sauces. It consists of 225 calories, 7 grams of fat, 28 carbohydrates, and 9 grams of protein. For a light lunch or beginners trying sushi for the first time, it is the right roll.
Sushi is also considered a meal that is weight-loss-friendly. Yet, with high-fat sauces and fried tempura batter, many types of sushi are made, which increases their calorie content significantly. Additionally, there are normally very small quantities of fish or vegetables in a single piece of sushi. Sushi may not be a strong tool for weight loss, but it can be part of a balanced weight loss diet as long as you’re mindful about what sauces you add and avoid fried tempura choices.
The lowest calorie sushi rolls are the rolls that are made up of vegetables, without sauce or Mayonnaise. These may include cucumber rolls, tuna rolls, etc. They have less than 200 cal for six pieces. If you prefer salmon, avocado, then the calorie count shall be 300 cal for 6 pieces. Traditionally, sushi is produced with rice, seaweed, and seafood. Since most varieties of fish are relatively low in calories, most sushi types are also. Sushi calories differ depending on the preparation.