Quinoa pronounced as ‘KEEN-WAH’ is a type of seed that is often misunderstood for whole grain. But it can be cooked as whole grain and cooks faster and quicker than the whole grain. Quinoa thrives in harsh, unpredictable climates such as that of the Andean region of Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador, Colombia, and Chile. It is a type of superfood that is high in fiber and high-quality protein. People often want to know the health benefits of quinoa. Is quinoa a superfood? How to cook quinoa? Is weight loss with quinoa possible? Looking for delicious quinoa recipes? So, here we are! All your queries related to quinoa will be answered as you read the article further. Quinoa health benefits are amazing and you will love us for sharing this.
Table of Contents
- 1 Nutrition value of Quinoa (1 cup of quinoa)
- 2 Quinoa
Vs rice carbs
- 2.1 White rice or Quinoa: Which one is healthier?
- 2.2 Brown rice or Quinoa: Which one is healthier? (Quinoa health benefits)
- 2.2.1 How to cook quinoa on the stove?
- 2.2.2 How to cook quinoa in a rice cooker?
- 2.2.3 Is weight loss with quinoa possible? (Quinoa weight loss)
- 2.2.4 Can quinoa help you lose weight? Is quinoa good for losing weight?
- 2.2.5 Quinoa and sesame crackers with orange hummus
- 2.2.6 OR
- 2.2.7 Sweet Potato and quinoa bowls
- 2.2.8 Coconut Lime quinoa salad
- 2.2.9 Quinoa, Couscous and Beetroot Tikki
- 2.2.10 Side effects of quinoa
- 2.2.11 Best ways to use quinoa
Nutrition value of Quinoa (1 cup of quinoa)
Protein: 8 gm.
Fiber: 5 gm.
Manganese: 58% of the RDA.
Magnesium: 30% of the RDA.
Phosphorus: 28% of the RDA
Folate: 19% of the RDA
Copper: 18% of the RDA
Iron: 15% of the RDA
Zinc: 13% of the RDA
Potassium: 9% of the RDA
Over 10% of the RDA for vitamins B1, B2, and B6
Small amounts of calcium, B3 (niacin) and vitamin E
What are superfoods?
Superfoods are just some food items that offer maximum nutritional benefits with much fewer calories. They consist of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Berry, grapes, tea, and quinoa, etc. are some examples of superfoods.
Benefits of superfoods
- Superfoods keep your body away from diseases. You will definitely be healthier once you start munching on superfoods every day.
- Superfoods contain antioxidants that help in preventing cancer while the fiber in them can help in preventing diabetes and digestive problems.
- Superfoods are also beneficial in protecting your body from toxins.
Is quinoa a superfood?
Yes, quinoa is a superfood. Going by the above definition of superfoods, it is pretty much clear that quinoa falls under the category of superfoods. The health benefits of quinoa are many and calories are too less. Quinoa is like a tiny grain that cooks like rice and is available in the nearby supermarkets and health stores.
What are the health benefits of quinoa?
- Quinoa is a healthy diet food as well and has a lot of benefits. It provides 9 essential amino acids, making it a complete protein.
- Quinoa is gluten-free, cholesterol-free & non-GMO and is usually grown organically. It is perfect for people who are gluten intolerant. A gluten-free diet is healthy only if it is based on natural gluten-free food items.
- Another health benefit of quinoa is that it is rich in fiber. According to a health study that targeted four types of quinoa, for every 100 grams of quinoa, 10-20 grams of fiber were found.
- Quinoa is a superfood that has a less glycemic index. Glycemic index measures how quickly blood sugar gets raised by different types of food items. Consuming food with a high glycemic index can lead to obesity.
- It is rich in iron which helps in keeping our red blood cells healthy and is the basis of hemoglobin formation.
- Quinoa contains magnesium which helps in reducing Type 2 diabetes. It also helps in the regulation of body temperature.
- It is rich in nutritional content and hence has beneficial effects on metabolic health.
- Quinoa helps you in reducing weight. It is very less in calories and high in nutritional value and hence it is a perfect food choice for those looking for losing weight.
- According to whfoods.org, quinoa contains anti-inflammatory nutrients which can lower the risk of heart diseases and cancer.
Looking for more ways to lose weight? why don’t you try out Detox drinks as well along with foods for weight loss. Here are some Best detox drinks for weight loss including Homemade Detox Drinks to detoxify yourselves
Quinoa Vs rice carbs
White rice or Quinoa: Which one is healthier?
Quinoa has a less glycemic index while white rice has a high glycemic index. This is how the consumption of white rice can make your blood sugar level shoot up suddenly.
White rice is also a refined starch which makes its nutritional level very less. Quinoa has much fewer calories and carbohydrates than white rice. If you are looking to lose weight then choose quinoa over white rice.
It is also proven that a cup of quinoa is richer in protein and fiber than a cup of white rice. Quinoa makes you full early and hence you can stay fit and healthy. Both quinoa and white rice are gluten-free. You just have to choose the right quality of the grain.
Brown rice or Quinoa: Which one is healthier? (Quinoa health benefits)
While brown rice is known to be healthier than white rice, when compared to quinoa, it has somewhat similar health benefits. Brown rice also has a low glycemic index like quinoa. Both of the grains have far greater health benefits than white rice. Quinoa has a slightly higher level of protein and fewer carbohydrates as compared to brown rice. Also, quinoa is a complete protein, unlike brown rice which has fewer amino acids.
How to cook quinoa on the stove?
- Cooking quinoa is somewhat similar to cooking rice. If you are looking to cook quinoa on the stovetop then we are here with the best method to cook quinoa.
- Soak the quinoa grains in cold water for about two minutes to remove its outer shell. The next step is to rinse quinoa in a mesh strainer for about 30 seconds. After draining the quinoa grains, transfer it to a cooking pot.
- Add two cups of water for every cup of quinoa grains and bring the water to boil. Cover the pan for 15-20 minutes at the medium-high flame and wait till the water gets absorbed.
- Turn off the flame and let quinoa sit for some time for about five minutes say. It will make sure that the seeds are cooked properly. Separate the fluff of quinoa before serving.
This is how to cook quinoa on the stove made simple and quick for you.
How to cook quinoa in a rice cooker?
The first step is spraying the rice cooker with some oil. You can use any oil. We prefer using coconut oil but the choice is yours.
- Rinse the quinoa for around 20 seconds under the tap.
- Add two cups of water for one cup of quinoa and add a pinch of salt.
- Quinoa is ready to cook.
- Use the button on your rice cooker to cook your quinoa.
Is weight loss with quinoa possible? (Quinoa weight loss)
As quinoa is a superfood, losing weight with quinoa is definitely possible. But you can’t rely on quinoa for weight loss. Make a routine of exercising and consuming healthy food.
This is how the process becomes easier for weight loss. Since quinoa is high in protein content, it helps in muscle building. Quinoa provides a perfect balance of nutrients but it alone is not sufficient for weight loss. Diet and exercise should be included in your routine as well.
Quinoa is also rich in fiber which takes longer to digest and hence quinoa keeps you full for a long time. Fiber also facilitates healthier digestion. It is also gluten-free making it even perfect for your weight loss and overall health.
Can quinoa help you lose weight? Is quinoa good for losing weight?
Replace rice with quinoa and it will lead to weight loss. For quinoa weight loss, try salads with quinoa. There are a lot of quinoa weight loss recipes available online. Check them out and give a push to your weight loss journey.
- Quinoa Risotto With Mushroom
- Quinoa and Sesame Crackers with Orange Hummus
- Sweet Potato and Quinoa Bowls
- Quinoa, Couscous And Beetroot Tikki
- Coconut Lime Quinoa Salad
Quinoa Risotto with Mushroom
What you need
- 1 cup quinoa
- One tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2-3 pieces of mushroom
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- 2 cups of water
- 2 tablespoon chopped onion
- salt and black pepper
Quinoa risotto with mushroom
- Boil two cups of water and add one cup quinoa. Heat it at medium flame for at least 15 minutes.
- In a large pan, saute onion in one tablespoon olive oil and add garlic and cook.
- Add mushroom and saute until cooked
- Sprinkle salt and black pepper according to taste
- Add one teaspoon chopped parsley to the pan and after mixing, serve the quinoa weight loss recipe hot
Quinoa and sesame crackers with orange hummus
What you need
- 200-gram quinoa
- 1/2 liter water
- half teaspoon baking powder
- 5-gram salt
- 50-gram rice flour
- 15-gram sesame seeds
- 2 fresh oranges
- 150-gram boiled chickpeas
- 20-gram tahini paste
- 2 pinch smoked paprika
Quinoa weight loss recipe: Quinoa and sesame crackers with orange hummus
- Boil quinoa at medium flame until a porridge-like consistency is achieved
- Allow it to cool and add baking powder, salt, and rice flour
- with the help of a spatula, spread quinoa batter on the sil pat
- Add sesame seeds and bake it for 12 minutes in a preheated oven (350-degree Celsius)
- allow it to cool
- prepare the orange zest using the grater. Cut the orange into half and squeeze the juice from the orange
- add boiled chickpeas, orange juice, tahini paste, smoked paprika in a food processer and process until done
- enjoy hummus with quinoa crackers
Weight loss can be a lot easier if you workout along with some good food. Here are some Best Ramdev Baba Yoga Asanas For Weight Loss
If you are a beginner and hasn’t been into working out Here are some Fitness Tips for beginners on How to Start Exercising and stick to it
Sweet Potato and quinoa bowls
What you need
- One cup cooked sweet potato cubes
- one cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- one finely chopped onion
- one cup cooked quinoa
- one tablespoon raisins
- half cup cashew nuts
- one teaspoon pepper powder
- half teaspoon cayenne
- one bay leaf
Quinoa weight loss recipe: Sweet Potato and quinoa bowls
- Heat the oil in the pan
- fry onions and bay leaves together
- Add coconut, cooked sweet potato, and pepper
- Fry well
- Add cashew nuts and raisins
- Mix well and cook
- Add cooked quinoa and mix thoroughly
- Cook it on a medium flame for three minutes
- Serve hot
Coconut Lime quinoa salad
What you need
- One cup uncooked quinoa
- Two cups water
- Half cup sliced red onion
- Three cups cucumber
- Half cup diced avocado
- Four segments orange
- Half cup unsweetened toasted coconut flakes
- One-fourth cup chopped almonds
- Black pepper
For preparing the dressings
- one lemon
- two tablespoonS orange juice
- two tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- two tablespoons olive oil
Quinoa weight loss recipe: Coconut Lime quinoa salad
- Boil quinoa on a medium flame for 12-15 minutes until water is soaked
- whisk all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl
- when quinoa cools down, add it to the bowl with the salad
- add dressing to the salad according to taste
Quinoa, Couscous and Beetroot Tikki
What you need
- One and a half tablespoon oil
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 couscous
- One potato
- 1 beetroot
- 3/4 spinach
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic paste
Quinoa weight loss recipe: Quinoa, Couscous and Beetroot Tikki
- Mix well the mashed potato with all ingredients in a bowl except oil
- Take one fourth cup mixture and convert it into a round ball
- Flatten the bowl to make a Tikki and do the same with the rest of the mixture and keep them ready to bake
- Refrigerate the Tikki for 15 minutes
- Fry the Tikki in a pan till it becomes crispy
- Serve with green chutney
Side effects of quinoa
Quinoa contains a compound named saponin which if taken in large quantities can affect the inner lining of the intestines. It can further lead to leaky gut syndrome. Digestive discomfort is the most common problem caused by excess intake of quinoa.
There is a problem called quinoa allergy. If you are allergic to quinoa then these are the symptoms which may occur-
- Stomach pain
- Inflammation in the skin
If you are allergic to quinoa then you must avoid food made from quinoa.
Best ways to use quinoa
- Make your salads interesting and tasty. Add quinoa to it
- What if we say you can replace the base of your porridge with quinoa? Well, that’s a great idea! Try it for yourself.
- Want to eat something tasty as well as healthy? Make burgers for breakfast with quinoa patties.
- While cooking your soup, stir quinoa to it. This will add protein to your dish.
- You can have stuffed capsicum with quinoa for lunch or supper.
These are just a few ideas to add quinoa to your meal. You can add quinoa to your diet in infinite ways. The only thing is to keep experimenting. Quinoa is a superfood that will not disappoint you and will live up to the hype we promise.